Northline are here to help.
The following information contains just a few simple ideas on how you can help Northline to ensure that your freight is delivered on-time, in-full and intact. If you would like any additional advice or information please do not hesitate to contact your local Northline branch.
Get a Quote Call Us Now
What are Northline's Pallet Trading Terms?
How can I apply for an account?
If you wish to apply for an account with Northline, please see our Contacts page. Our Client Services team will be happy to help you with your enquiry.
How should I pack my freight?
Your valuable items will often be travelling thousands of kilometres and handled many times before final delivery. The way in which you package these goods is critical to how they will appear at the final destination. Key things to watch are:
- Palletised goods should ideally be shrink-wrapped to the pallet to avoid them moving while in transit
- Cartons should be strong enough to take the weight inside, and no more than 25kg each unless on a pallet
- Any products containing glass should be bubble-wrapped, crated or similar and marked “Fragile – Contains Glass”
- Engines, Gear Boxes etc should be crated with fuel drained prior to shipping
- Long freight that is fragile and subject to damage if bent should be reinforced with timber to minimise flex
- Ensure that incompatible Dangerous Goods are not mixed together on a pallet
For more information, download our Freight Preparation Policy.
How do I label my freight?
The Northline network handles thousands of shipments each day. Your help in labelling freight clearly will minimise any risk of misdirects or delay:
- Clearly show the Shipper Name and Address, and the Consignee Name and Address
- If the shipment consists of multiple items, indicate the item number and total number e.g. 1 of 2, 2 of 2
- Write the consignment note number in full on each item or the pallet
- Any Dangerous Goods must be declared and the appropriate stickers placed on the freight
- Any Special Instructions should also be shown e.g. Fragile, For Delivery By… etc
What paperwork must I complete for my shipment of freight?
Every shipment sent with Northline must have an appropriate consignment note completed for the driver at pickup. The following will help in ensuring that the consignment note is completed in the correct manner.
How to complete a consignment note:
- Senders address in full.
- Receivers address in full.
- Pallet control details. (note: there may be further documentation required for transfers)
- Sender’s reference.
- Number of Items.
- Full description of goods.
- Dangerous goods declaration, if applicable.
- Customer/sender signature and date.
- Weight in kilograms.
- Dimensions in centimetres.
- Tick box for freight charges and record account no. Or complete Third Party charge box.
- Special instructions allows for comments to assist with delivery e.g. tail-lift delivery required, phone number for contact prior to delivery, book-in time etc.
What are Northline’s national transit times?
To achieve transit times the freight must ready by 4pm and the order placed by 1pm on day of despatch.
- Transit times are measured in working days only and starts from the day after the freight is collected or received in.
- Regional transit times are available upon request from our Client Services Team. Contact them on 1300 722 534.
See our Transit Time Schedule for more information.
What is Northline’s Fuel Levy?
Like all freight forwarders, Northline is subject to the imposition of fuel surcharges from linehaul subcontractors, Pacific National and Freightlink as well as local fleet contractors. Northline passes on such charges to clients at cost, and adjusts its surcharge rate monthly.
The fuel surcharge for November 2017 is:
Full Load 7.49%
The fuel surcharge for October 2017 is:
Full Load 6.55%
How can I claim for damages to my freight?
Firstly, please contact our Client Services team on 1300 722 534. They will provide you with a ‘Northline Query Number’ which must be included on the claim form.
Following this, you can complete you Damage Waiver Form by one of the following options:
1) Follow the link to complete the Damage Waiver Claim Form online. Completing the form online is the most efficient way of lodging your claim.
2) Should you wish to complete a hard copy of the Damage Waiver Form please email your request to [email protected]
or send it to the following address:
IC Frith & Associates
Level 3/149 Flinders Street, Adelaide SA 5000
Phone: 08 8177 5055
What are the exclusions to the Damage Waiver?
For a full list of the exclusions to Northline’s Damage Waiver, please see this Exclusions List. For more information, contact our Client Services team through our Contacts page.
Can Northline help me move house?
Northline U-PACK-IT offers you an economical alternative to traditional Removalist Companies when moving interstate. U-PACK-IT is all about saving you money when moving home. See the U-PACK-IT website for details.